Sunday, February 13, 2011

Frostbite Race Report

Saturday Feb. 12th, 2011 I ran Cedars of Lebanon Frostbite Half-Marathon. It was a tough and yet great race. I got there way too early and had a lot of downtime prior to the start( good and bad). I warmed up my usual way but also jogged around more than normal trying to stay warmed and prepped.
Finally the race got started off, and as they warned the first three miles were littered w/ ice in different shady parts. This made for some tricky footing and jamming up at times. Still I got started out fairly well, a bit too fast as usual at 10:10 but hopefully w/in limits. First 5K in 31 to 32 minutes so slowed to a more appopriate pace. The trail/ gravel section of the race was interesting as it was very sloshy to almost muddy. I enjoyed the softness of this part of the race myself. However, this part also had a lot of unlevel terrain that challenged the ankles and hips more. Speed stayed somewhat consistent and I hit 1:03 at the 10K mark. Somewhere around 8.5 to 9 miles we hit a nasty head wind on yet one more of the many "rolling" hills(as one lady said "can you sense the sarcasm", that was one hilly course!!!!!) At 10 I knew I was loosing stem and just didn't seem to be able to push for much, still I hit 11 at under 2hrs. so w/ a good push I had the chance of making around 2:20 but no push could be found. One of my running mates caught up to me at around 11 and said it had taken her 11 miles to catch me, I was going so fast. I muttered something about slowing way down now though and she seemed to be just getting faster. She said she was pretty shot too still I think she could have possibly pushed faster if not for me, I told her to go on several times but she never really pushed past me much. I had to walk several short bouts between 11 and 12.5 but did manage a bit of a kick at the end to come in at 2:24 and some change, a 4 minute PR!!!! WHEW Freaking yeah !!! I did it!!!
I have second guessed a few things since the end of the race: if I had worn shorts could I have kept my temps down and been a bit fresher; if I hadn't went so hard either at first or in some of the middle miles could I have had more at the end; should I, in turn, have just poured it on more before all the fatigue and soreness set in. Nevertheless, I PR'd a tough, hilly, icy race w/ only a long run of 10 miles two days after coming of antibiotics for Strep Throat so I can't be anything but pleased!!!! Really sore but super pleased!!!! A little rest this week and then back to training!!!! Thanks to Becks for helping me through out there, the race directors and volunteers and to my wonderful family for their support, esp. the best wife and dad who came out to cheer me on and drag me back home!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment